I DID NOT WRITE THIS….but I probably could have. I use these words…mainly when I hope no one is listening! I DON’T know who authored this great piece of writing, but it sounds pretty much true for Florida…at least in our neck of the woods!
THINGS I LEARNED GROWING UP IN FLORIDA…
1) A possum is a flat animal that sleeps in the middle of the road.
2) There are 5,000 types of snakes and 4,998 of them live in FLORIDA.
3) There are 10,000 types of spiders, and all 10,000 of them live in FLORIDA
4) If it grows, it’ll stick ya. If it crawls, it’ll bite cha.
5) “Onced” and “Twiced” are words.
6) It is not a shopping cart, it’s a buggy.
7) “Jaw-P?” means, “Did y’all go to the bathroom?”
8) People actually grow and eat okra.
9) “Fixinto” is one word.
10) There is no such thing as lunch. There is only dinner and then there is supper…
11) Iced tea is appropriate for all meals, and you start drinking it when you’re two.
We do like a little tea with our sugar.
12) Backwards and forwards means, “I know everythin’ bout you.”
13) The word “jeet” is actually a phrase meaning, “Did you eat?”
14) You don’t have to wear a watch, because it doesn’t matter what time it is. You work until you’re done or it’s too dark to see…
15) You don’t PUSH buttons, you MASH ‘em.
16) You measure distance in minutes.
17) You switch from heat to A/C in the same day.
18) All the festivals across the state are named after a fruit, vegetable, grain, insect or animal.
19) You know what a “Dawg” is.
20) You carry jumper cables in your car – for your own car.
21) You only own five spices: salt, pepper, Texas Pete, Tabasco and ketchup.
22) The local papers cover national and international news on one
page, but require 6 pages for local gossip and high school football…
23) You think that the first day of deer season is a national holiday.
24) You find 100 degrees “a bit warm.”
25) You know all four seasons: Almost summer, summer, still summer, and Christmas.
26) Going to Walmart is a favorite past time known as “goin’ Walmartin” or “off to Wally
27) You describe the first cool snap (below 70 degrees) as good hog killin’ weather.
28) Fried catfish is the other white meat.
29) We don’t need no dang Driver’s Ed… If our mama says we can drive, we can
30) You understand these jokes and forward them to your FLORIDA
friends and those who just wish they were from FLORIDA !!!!!
NOW….that you will be more able to understand what is said around you…JOANNE of Blessed is having a scholarship GIVEAWAY!!!! Click on her name and get yo-self over there and sign up! YOU just might WIN!!!
September 16th, 2009 at 12:27 pm
Great list sis.
September 16th, 2009 at 12:34 pm
Girl, this list could be for Georgia, too….
September 16th, 2009 at 2:34 pm
Very…very cute! I Loved it! 🙂
September 16th, 2009 at 3:22 pm
You are just as cute as a bug, chickadee!!!!
(Actually, I think that most of these apply to Texas and Oklahoma!!! Oh, and Arkansas too! lol)
September 17th, 2009 at 5:21 am
I reallly did “LOL” on the first one! Then on # 7, I had to get up and walk away for a couple of minutes. Many of these are so true! “Laughter is the best medicine.” What a good way to start the day. Thanks Angie! Love you.
September 17th, 2009 at 8:48 am
Angie, this is so funny. It never crossed my mind that I had 'Southernisms' until we moved to Nebraska. CONSTANTLY, people asked “What did you just say?” This list is so true.
Also, when we say squawl – we mean 'cry really hard'.
September 17th, 2009 at 11:53 am
Love these…especially: jaw-p, jeet, mash not push. Actually, I love them all. I understand some of them from my own experience in Indiana.
Oh, #2 just ruined any dreams of living in Florida. I'm guessing that's near gospel or it wouldn't be poked fun at. I saw two of them at my previous house…when beloved was still with me, to rescue me. I would forever “watch” after that. Now, in my new house, more in the city parts, or rather NO trees/woods, I never think about them.
Love the list. love the little tea with sugar. Fortunately, I love and prefer my tea with sweet-n-low. I use splenda for everything else but give me the pink for my tea.
September 17th, 2009 at 9:56 pm
I love reading this list, and what's so funny is that most of its true for me.
September 19th, 2009 at 7:17 am
This CRACKED ME UP! Thanks for following my blog. I can totally relate to this list…since I truly grew up in Florida!
September 19th, 2009 at 4:28 pm
Well, its official…native Floridian because I understood all of it and have used most of it. Really, really cute. Looking forward to the retreat…will get on and get my ticket once everything with my brother is handled. See ya soon
September 19th, 2009 at 6:11 pm
September 20th, 2009 at 9:50 pm
You are just too cute! Most of these could be from the mountains of NC.
Mayonnaise a lot of comments here!
September 29th, 2009 at 8:55 pm
Shoot, we talk the same lingo:-) Atlanta, ya'll:-) …the TRUE south…lol…